Basil and Muriel Hooper Scholarship
Entries for 2015 now open. Deadline extended to 16 October 2015.
The Art Gallery of NSW awards an annual scholarship of $4000 to fine art students attending recognised universities or schools in New South Wales to assist with the cost of fees and general living expenses.
Applicants must have completed at least one year of full-time study. The scholarship is not available to any student currently holding another scholarship.
The scholarship is for an amount of up to $4000 to assist with the cost of fees and general living expenses.
1. The scholarship is open to Australian students currently enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in fine or visual arts, art history, curatorship, museum studies or a related discipline. Students must have completed one full year of study at the time of application.
2. Scholarships will be valued at $4000 payable in instalments due at the commencement of each term or semester.
3. Applicants must not be currently receiving any other scholarship to support their course of study.
4. Applicants must submit up to eight JPEG images of recent work. The images must be formatted into a PowerPoint presentation and burnt to a CD. Format as a landscape presentation, with each slide featuring one image, centred on a white background with the caption underneath (title, date, medium and size). Please make the first slide your name only. A downloadable PowerPoint template is available for your reference. Save your presentation in the following format: ‘SURNAME_Firstname_2015’
For multimedia works, applicants may submit up to two separate MPEG files or link to online content. One video should be no more than two minutes.
5. Applicants must submit a statement outlining why their financial circumstances are such that they warrant further financial assistance. Statements should be no more than one page and may include a budget outlining how the scholarship is proposed to be used.
6. All applicants must complete the application form and include a current CV.
How to apply
Please post your completed application form, CD with PowerPoint, project proposal, budget and current CV by 5pm Friday 16 October 2015 to:
Scholarships, Internships and Prizes
c/o Yuki Kawakami
Art Gallery of New South Wales
Art Gallery Road, The Domain Sydney NSW 2000
Or deliver in person to reception at the Art Gallery of NSW by 5pm 16 October 2015 addressed as above. Applications post-marked 16 October 2015 will also be accepted given they arrive within seven days from the closing date.
Download application form (PDF 159.6 KB)
Download PowerPoint template (POT 102.5 KB)
1. The winner will be notified in November 2015.
2. The scholarship is judged by Gallery staff.
3. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.