Previous winners of the Brett Whiteley Travelling Art Scholarshop with Wendy Whiteley (left to right): Alan Jones, Nicole Kelly, Nathan Hawkes, Becky Gibson, Belem Lett, Wendy Whiteley, James Drinkwater, Mitch Cairns
Brett Whiteley Travelling Art Scholarship
Applications close Friday 8 July 2016
Each year, the Brett Whiteley Studio, administered by the Art Gallery of NSW, invites applications for a major travelling art scholarship. The scholarship is awarded to a talented young artist/painter with an established body of work who is best able to demonstrate the use and benefit of the scholarship to further their art education in Europe.
Mrs Beryl Whiteley (1917–2010) generously allocated funds for the scholarship in memory of her son, Brett Whiteley, both to encourage excellence in painting and to offer young artists the same opportunity to develop their careers as were afforded to her son.
The scholarship consists of an amount of $30,000 and a three-month residency at the Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, administered by the Art Gallery of NSW.
The residency is for a continuous period of three months occupancy, from July to September 2017. The scholarship must be taken at this specified time.
The $30,000 must be used by the successful applicant to further their art education in Europe for a period of at least six months, three of which must be used in conjunction with the residency.
- The scholarship is open to artists who are between the ages of 20 and 30 (inclusive) on the closing date for applications, which is Friday 8 July 2016.
- Applicants must be citizens of Australia and must have been so for at least the last two years. Applicants must be residing in Australia at the time of processing, judging and the announcement of the scholarship.
- The applicant must submit ten images of ten artworks completed by the applicant to demonstrate a body of work.
- The ten jpeg images must also be formatted into a PowerPoint presentation. Please format as a landscape presentation, with each slide featuring one image, centred on a white background with the caption underneath (title, date, medium and size). Please make the first slide your name only. Please follow the downloadable PowerPoint template and save your presentation in the following format: SURNAME_First name _BWTAS_2016. All text is to be in 12 point Arial font.
- From the ten images submitted, at least five must be of paintings. The remaining five may be of works in other media. All works must have been completed in the last 12 months and must not be larger than 100 × 150 cm.
- From these five images of paintings, the applicant must nominate one painting as the work they would prefer the judges to consider in competition for the scholarship. The applicant must clearly identify the nominated work in their PowerPoint presentation with the relevant slide, labelled with an N.
- The judges may, at their discretion, nominate from the submitted images any other painting also completed by the artist in the preceding 12 months instead of the applicant’s nominated work.
- The PowerPoint presentation must be provided on a CD or USB.
- The CD or USB must be submitted with a completed application form and a non-refundable $20 (including GST) entry fee. Payment must be made by cheque or money order to the Art Gallery of NSW. Any application form not accompanied by payment will not be eligible for the scholarship. Please post your application to:
Brett Whiteley Travelling Art Scholarship
Art Gallery of NSW
Art Gallery Rd Sydney NSW 2000
- A shortlist of applicants will be selected in August. Shortlisted applicants will be required to send their nominated work (or other work selected by judges) to the Brett Whiteley Studio (2 Raper St, Surry Hills NSW 2010) by Friday 2 September 2016 for second-round judging.
- An exhibition of selected finalists’ paintings will be on show at the Brett Whiteley Studio from Friday 23 September until Sunday 30 October 2016. All works selected for hanging must be available for showing continuously throughout the exhibition. An online exhibition may also feature on the Brett Whiteley Studio/Art Gallery of NSW website.
- The Brett Whiteley Studio and the Art Gallery of NSW reserve the right to exhibit the works selected by the judges for up to three months.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The applicant consents to the Brett Whiteley Studio and the Art Gallery of NSW reproducing the applicant’s nominated work in all publicity and promotion of the scholarship, inclusive of all electronic and print media.
- The applicant is responsible, both financially and logistically, for the delivery and return of their painting. All costs associated with entering – including postage, freight and insurance – are to be borne by the applicant.
- The Brett Whiteley Studio and the Art Gallery of NSW will not be responsible for any loss or damage caused to any work while in its custody. Each applicant is responsible for maintaining their own insurance.