(Australia 19 Dec 1909 – 15 May 1977)
- 20th & 21st c Australian art
- Further information
… I was able to somehow crystallise a feeling I’d had … an abstract feeling that something exists beyond the material evidence. I felt it was possible to make visible something that was not actually there – to make visible the non visible.
Carl Plate, 1968
The title of this painting reflects the dynamic and energetic impulses central to its construction. Like a controlled explosion or the growth of a plant, 'Up, outwards' explores the forces of nature in abstract form. The painting’s broken strokes often widen into ragged, fractured planes which exist in a state of both balance and tension.
- Place of origin
New South Wales,
- synthetic polymer paint on hardboard
- 122.0 x 92.0 cm board; 124.5 x 93.8 x 3.0 cm frame
- Signature & date
- Signed and dated u.r. corner, brown paint "Carl Plate '62".
- Gift of Dr Colin and Mrs Elizabeth Laverty 2005
- Accession number
- © Estate of Carl Plate