(Scotland, Australia 29 Sep 1891 – 20 May 1974)
- Other titles:
- Nutmeg sifters (Singapore)
- Not on display
- Further information
This delicate watercolour is on very thin paper, and was drawn with economy and speed. There are recognisable 'types' in the image, such as the figure of mother and child, to which Fairweather often returned. The intense concentration of the women as they undertake their work presents a calm and meditative scene.
© Australian Art Department, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2004
- (circa 1941)
- pencil, watercolour, gouache on thin cream tissue
- 38.4 x 24.6 cm sheet
- Signature & date
- Signed l.l., pencil "I Fairweather". Not dated.
- Gift of Tom and Jenny Parramore 1985
- Accession number
- © Ian Fairweather/DACS. Licensed by Viscopy, Sydney