(Italy 20 Jul 1890 – 18 Jun 1964)
- Modern gallery
- Further information
A reticent and quiet man who eschewed the successive fashions of European modernism, Morandi devoted his artistic career to the unhurried contemplation of the objects and landscapes of his native Bologna. The objects he painted and drew were invariably prosaic. Morandi gathered them together into intimate clusters. An unerring judge of proportion, he imbued these compositions with an extraordinary sense of unity, realising the lyric possibilities of his objects through subtle intervals of colour, tone and space. The familiar forms of jars and pots are simplified, yet their essential qualities seem to be heightened. In this way Morandi suggests an abstract monumentality: a characteristic associated with metaphysical painting. The classic composure of Morandi's work depends on a technique that leaves nothing to chance or improvisation.
Art Gallery Handbook, 1999.
- oil on canvas
- 35.4 x 40.9 cm stretcher; 61.5 x 67.0 x 5.0 cm frame
- Signature & date
- Signed u.r., grey oil "Morandi". Not dated.
- Purchased with assistance from the Margaret Hannah Olley Art Trust 1997
- Accession number
- © Giorgio Morandi/SIAE. Licensed by Viscopy, Sydney
- Galleria della Scudo (Italy), Verona/Italy, Purchased by the AGNSW from Galleria della Scudo 1997
Addison Ltd. (Monaco), Monaco
Galleria della Scudo (Italy), Verona/Italy, Acquired from Verrando in the mid 1980s.
Giovanni Battista Verrando (Italy), Verona/Italy, After Cesare Tosi died the painting passed through many collections ending up in the collection of Giovanni Battista Verrando by 1983. Listed in Vitali, no.1050, as collection Giovanni Battista Verrando
Galleria Lorenzelli (Italy), Milan/Italy, label verso, Galleria Lorenzelli Milano / Mostra Maggini Morandi / Dicembre 1962
Cesare Tosi (Italy), Milan/Italy, Sold to Cesare Tosi in the late 1950s
Galleria Odyssia, Rome (Italy), Rome/Italy
N Mobilio (Italy), Florence/Italy
Galleria Falsetti (Italy), Prato/Italy
Gino Ghiringhelli (Italy), Milan/Italy, Owner of the Galleria del Milione in Milan, Ghiringhelli acquired the painting directly from Morandi.