(Australia, England 27 Mar 1894 – 01 Mar 1968)
On the deck
- Other titles:
- On board (On the deck), On board
- 20th & 21st c Australian art
- Further information
This painting was derived from a photograph of the Duke of Windsor and Mrs Simpson honeymooning on the deck of their yacht. It depicts the two abstracted figures in the centre of the composition, framed and isolated by lines and shadows. Exemplifying de Maistre’s geometric-cubist style, the work is formed out of solid curves of funnels, wires and gunwales. Shadows echo and extend these curves, which intersect with the straight lines of other structures and create geometric forms of flat colour.
De Maistre created some of his most resolved paintings during the mid 1930s, living in England. The artist had left Australia unable to make a living solely from his practice.
- oil on hardboard
- 51.0 x 61.0 cm board; 57.2 x 67.1 x 4.1 cm frame
- Signature & date
- Signed l.r. corner, incised "R de Maistre". Not dated.
- Gift of Patrick White 1974
- Accession number
- © Caroline de Mestre Walker