(Australia, England 27 Mar 1894 – 01 Mar 1968)
Figure in a garden (The aunt)
- Other titles:
- The Aunt, 1945 [Whitechapel Art Gallery, Retrospective 1960, Cat.No.62]., Figure in a garden (The Aunt)
- 20th & 21st c Australian art
- Further information
De Maistre's friendship with fellow Australian Patrick White whom he met in London in 1936 was an important one for both artist and writer. 'Figure in a garden (The aunt)' was prompted by a photograph of a relative as a young woman in Edwardian dress, found by de Maistre amongst the bombed ruins of Chelsea Barracks. The painting inspired White to create the subject for his 1948 novel The Aunt's Story and was used on the cover of the first edition of this book.
- oil on hardboard
- 90.5 x 63.5 cm board; 108.0 x 80.5 x 7.2 cm frame
- Signature & date
- Signed l.l. corner, black oil "R de Maistre [underlined]". Not dated.
- Gift of Patrick White 1974
- Accession number
- © Caroline de Mestre Walker