(Australia, Switzerland, Brazil 03 Mar 1814 – 30 May 1888)
A summer evening in the Pentland Hills
- Other titles:
- Landscape with house and figures
- Not on display
- Further information
Buvelot was a particularly skilled draughtsman and watercolourist whose subtlety of touch rendered the Australian bush with sensitivity and a new understanding of light and colour. He had a great influence on the generation of Australian landscape painters that followed him, acknowledged by Tom Roberts and Frederick McCubbin as the 'Father' of Australian landscape painting.
© Australian Art Department, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2000
- pencil, watercolour, white gouache scraping out on ivory wove paper
- 40.3 x 59.1 cm sheet; 57.2 x 73.2 cm sight edge; 64.2 x 80.2 cm frame
- Signature & date
- Signed and dated l.l. corner, pen and brown ink "L Buvelot 1876".
- Edward Stinson Bequest Fund 1998
- Accession number