An image of Teapot

Vincennes

(France 1740 – 1756)

Teapot

Location
15th–19th c European art
Further information

The underglaze blue (‘bleu lapis’) ground introduced in 1752 was one of the most successful innovations of the Vincennes factory. The colour was applied to the biscuit porcelain with a sponge and then fired before the application of the glaze. The blurred edges of the reserves were then covered with thickly applied and intricately tooled gilding. The marks have been applied separately by the craftsman who applied the ground colour and by the painter.

Year
1754-1755
Media
Ceramic
Medium
soft-paste porcelain
Dimensions
12.2 x 16.2 x 9.2 cm :
a - teapot; 10.3 x 16.2 x 9.2 cm
b - lid; 2.3 x 5.6 x 5.6 cm
Credit
On loan from Kenneth Reed
Accession number
L2010.195.a-b