The Gallery’s annual student art writing prize
Entries now closed for the 2013 competition. Winners will be announced soon.
In partnership with ARTAND Australia magazine, this annual writing competition has been created to encourage students to express their ideas about art practice and exhibitions through writing.
Section 1: Art label
Focusing on the contemporary galleries choose your favourite work and submit label text based on your interpretation or opinion about the artwork.
- Junior (Years 3–6): maximum 50 words
- Intermediate (Years 7–10): maximum 75 words
- Senior (Years 11–12): maximum 100 words
Section 2: Art essay
Write a critical review of an exhibition you have recently visited at the Art Gallery of NSW – or another exhibition within your local area if you do not live close to the Gallery.
- Intermediate (Years 7–10): maximum 300 words
- Senior (Years 11–12): 500 – 750 words
Each winner receives a Gallery publication, a gift voucher for the Gallery Shop and two tickets to the exhibition America: painting a nation. Highly commended also receives two tickets to America: painting a nation. The winning entries will be published on the Gallery website.
How to enter
Email the following to email@example.com
- Student’s name (first name and surname)
- Student’s year at school
- School’s name
- School’s phone
- Teacher’s name
- Section you are entering (ie Art label or Art essay)
- Level (ie Junior, Intermediate or Senior)
- Text for the label or essay
Terms and conditions
- This competition is organised by the Art Gallery of NSW, ABN 24 934 492 575, Art Gallery Rd, The Domain NSW 2000
- Entry is open to all Australian school students.
- The competition begins at 9am (AEST) on Thursday 5 September 2013 and closes at 5pm (AEST) on Friday 30 November 2013.
- Entries are limited to one per entrant per section.
- An entry must be the original work of the entrant themselves.
- Entries will be judged by staff at the Gallery and at ARTAND Australia magazine. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- One winner will be awarded at each level in each section. The Gallery reserves the right not to award a winning entry.
- Only the winners will be contacted by the Gallery.
- Entrants agree that the Gallery may use their personal details for the purpose of conducting the competition.
- Winners agree to the publication of their name and school/state and entry on the Gallery website and any marketing, publicity, educational and publication uses associated with the competition. Entrants will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
- Prizes cannot be transferred. Non-cash prizes cannot be redeemed for cash. If the winner is under the age of 18, the prize will be awarded to their parent or legal guardian.
- Information about how to enter forms part of the terms and conditions.
- Entering the competition indicates acceptance of these terms and conditions by the parent/teacher on behalf of children under the age of 18. The awarding of the winning entry is subject to confirmation of parental/teacher consent to these terms and conditions.