Sydney Students Speak
Sydney Students Speak is a professional development program that offers tertiary students the chance to give a public talk at the Art Gallery of NSW. This is a great chance to get some hands-on experience in one of Australia’s major galleries and to add an interesting line to your CV.
Applications will open June 2016. Updated information available closer to that date.
Eight students will be selected to each deliver a 20-minute public talk on a work in the Art Gallery of NSW collection.
The talks will take place on Wednesday evenings as part of the Gallery’s Art After Hours program.
Successful applicants will be given an introduction to the Gallery, training in public speaking by the Gallery’s Public Programs professionals and the opportunity to deliver a public talk at the Gallery. Students will also turn their talk into an Art Set.
How to apply
1. Register your interest by Friday 14 August 2015, 5pm
To sign up for an audition, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- your full name
- contact phone number
- email address
- institution, degree name and major (if applicable)
- student number
- name, email address and phone number of a referee (current lecturer/tutor is ideal)
- name of your selected artist and artwork (for the audition, the work does not have to be from the Gallery’s collection)
- a description of what you hope to gain from participating in Sydney Students Speak (no more than 100 words)
Registered applicants will be contacted by email with further information regarding the audition.
2. Prepare for your audition
Plan a 5-minute talk on an artwork of your choice to present to the audition panel. Keep a general, non-specialist audience in mind. You may bring a PowerPoint presentation with no more than three images of the artwork you will discuss on a USB drive.