Atget Instagram competition
Congratulations to Garry Trinh (@garrytrinh), winner of the Atget Instagram competition! Garry has won a night at the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, a Eugene Atget merchandise pack and a gift card for the Gallery restaurant.
Of the winning works, Judy Annear, senior curator photographs and competition judge, said:
Of the 13 finalists, it was very hard to choose the winner and 5 runners up. It was clear in shortlisting from the 1,600 entries that many participants had really thought about what they were doing. The consideration that went into the technical aspects, location, meaning, and how all of these might relate to the parameters of the Atget competition, as well as the inspiration gained from looking at Atget’s photographs, was in many cases considerable. Hence a third category of highly commended.
In all cases Sydney’s charm is revealed as mysterious, the streets enigmatic, the gardens a little melancholy, passersby engaged in their private worlds. Familiar environments become haunting as the everyday comes into focus.
The winner is commended for the depiction of an ordinary street where the intersection of human and natural environments gives the viewer the frisson of the uncanny.
Instagram Sydney for a chance to win!
Eugène Atget was best known for his incredible photographs documenting the architecture and street scenes of Paris.
Be inspired by Atget and photograph the streets of Sydney for your chance to win an exhibition prize pack including:
- luxury accommodation at the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
- Eugène Atget: Old Paris merchandise pack
- $100 gift card for the restaurant at the Art Gallery of NSW
Plus five runners up will each receive a copy of Looking at Atget, published by Yale University Press and valued at $60.*
We’re looking for the most inspired image which shows how photography can turn the familiar into something unusual, strange, even uncanny – those corners, facades, laneways, windows.
How to enter
- Download the Instagram app for Android or iPhone
- Take and edit your photo
- Upload the photo to Instagram with the hashtag #AtgetComp (privacy settings must be set to ‘public’ for us to retrieve your photo)
We encourage you to geotag your photo, although non-geotagged images will not be excluded from the competition
The fine print
- Limit of three entries per person.
- Entry is open to all permanent residents of Australia (you’ll need to be able to redeem the prize if you win!).
- The competition opens 10am 24 August 2012 and closes 11.59pm 4 November 2012.
- The winner will be announced on Friday 9 November 2012.
Full terms and conditions
1. Information on how to enter form part of the terms and conditions of entry. Entry into the competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
2. The promoter is the Art Gallery of NSW, ABN 24 934 492 575, Art Gallery Rd, The Domain NSW 2000, ph (02) 9225 1700.
3. Entry is open to all permanent residents of Australia. Employees and their immediate families of the Art Gallery of NSW and their agencies and companies associated with the promotion are ineligible to enter the competition.
4. The competition commences at 10.00am (AEST) on Friday 24 August 2012 and closes at 11.59pm (AEST) on Sunday 4 November 2012.
5. How to enter:
Step 1: Download the Instagram application for iPhone or Android
Step 2: Take and edit your photo
Step 3: Upload the photo to Instagram with the hashtag #AtgetComp (Instagram privacy settings must be set to ‘public’ for us to retrieve your photo)
6. Only entries submitted via the Instagram application and which are appropriately hashtagged will be accepted. Photographs submitted must be original works. We encourage entrants to geotag their photos but this is not essential and non-geotagged images will not be excluded from the competition.
7. Entries are limited to a maximum of three (3) per entrant. Users found in breach of this limit will forfeit their right to compete.
8. Judging will take place on Friday 9 November 2012 at 10.00am (AEST) at the Art Gallery of NSW. If the winner is under the age of 18 years, the prize will be awarded to their parent or legal guardian.
9. The competition is a game of skill and chance plays no part in the selection of the winner. We are looking for the most inspired image which shows how photography can turn the familiar into something unusual, strange, even uncanny. Submissions will be judged by Judy Annear, senior curator photographs, Art Gallery of NSW, according to the following criteria:
9.1 The relevance of the submitted photo to the theme in question, as decided by our judge.
9.2 Artistic interpretation of the theme, as decided by our judge.
9.3 Originality of the submission. Entries that are deemed to not belong to or be taken by the user will not be eligible.
10. Judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Prizes cannot be transferred. Non-cash prizes cannot be redeemed for cash.
11. The promoter reserves the right to verify the validity of entries and to disqualify any entry which, in the opinion of promoter, includes objectionable content, profanity, potentially insulting, inflammatory or defamatory statements, disqualify any entrant who tampers with the entry process, who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these terms and conditions of entry or who has, in the opinion of promoter, engaged in conduct in entering the promotion which is fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the promotion and/or promoter. The promoter reserves the right to disqualify a winner if the promoter becomes aware that the winner and/or the winner’s entry is of a type described in this clause.
12. Entries must be received by 11.59pm (AEST) Sunday 4 November 2012. The time of entry will in each case be the time the online entry is received by the Art Gallery of NSW database. The promoter accepts no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected entries due to technical disruptions, network congestion or for any other reason.
13. The cost of accessing the promotional website will be dependant on the entrant’s individual internet service provider.
14. Use of images:
14.1 All images published on Instagram with #AtgetComp may be moderated and displayed on the Art Gallery of NSW website and Facebook page. These images and associated usernames will be public to all.
14.2 By entering the competition and accepting the terms and conditions you agree your images can be broadcast via digital feeds or printed for physical events by the Art Gallery of NSW.
14.3 In consideration for the Art Gallery of NSW awarding the prize to the winners (including runners up), the winners give the Art Gallery of NSW non-exclusive rights to use their submitted image and Instagram name in promotional formats such as announcing the winners via the Art Gallery of NSW website, Facebook page, Twitter account and Instagram application and in subsequent competition promotions (with attribution). The winner will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
15. Use of personal information:
15.1 By entering the competition and accepting the terms and conditions, you agree that the Art Gallery of NSW may use your personal details for the purpose of conducting the competition, including the use of your Instagram name in promotional formats.
15.2 By entering the competition, you give the Art Gallery of NSW permission to contact you via Instagram if you are a winner of the competition.
16. The promoter reserves the right to request winners to provide proof of identity and proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address. Identification considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the promoter.
17. The promoter reserves the right to refuse to allow a winner to take part in any or all aspects of the prize, if the promoter determines, in their absolute discretion, that a winner is not in the mental or physical condition necessary to be able to safely participate in the prize. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner may be required to sign a legal release in a form determined by the promoter in its absolute discretion.
18. The promoter shall endeavour to contact the winners via their Instagram account within one week of the prize draw. In the event that the winner/s cannot be contacted after one month, an alternate winner/s will be selected and the original winner/s will forfeit any prize. The unclaimed prize judging will take place on Friday 7 December 2012 at 10.00am (AEST) at the Art Gallery of NSW.
19. The promoter shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize/s, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
20. The promoter is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, either caused by the phone user or for any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in this competition, or for any technical error, or any combination thereof that may occur in the course of the administration of this competition including any omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line or satellite network failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of entries.
21. If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any causes beyond the control of the promoter, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, subject to any written direction given under state regulation.
22. Prizes are as follows:
- 1 night accommodation in a classic room at the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
- Eugène Atget: Old Paris merchandise pack including Looking at Atget, published by Yale University Press (total value $175)*
- $100 gift card for the restaurant at the Art Gallery of NSW
Valid until 30 June 2013. Accommodation is subject to availability and a minimum of 3 weeks notice is required to arrange this element of the prize. Prize vouchers must be presented upon arrival at the hotel and cannot be redeemed for cash. Any incidentals such as room service, mini bar and telephone calls are not included and should be settled by the prize winner upon departure. No changes allowed once the prize has been booked. Transport to Sydney and meals are not included in the prize. The winner will be responsible for covering their own travel expenses to and within Sydney.
In addition, five runners up will each receive a copy of Looking at Atget, published by Yale University Press and valued at $60.*
Total prize value is $1000.
23. In the event that for any reason whatsoever a winner does not take an element of the prize at the time stipulated by the promoter then that element of the prize will be forfeited by the winner and cash will not be awarded in lieu of that element of the prize.
24. Participation in this competition assumes the acceptance of the Instagram terms and conditions, found at http://instagram.com/legal/terms/
*Note: Unfortunately, the exhibition catalogue (valued at $80), which was previously advertised as a prize, is unavailable. It has been substituted with the book Looking at Atget, published by Yale University Press (valued at $60).
What parts of Sydney are you instagramming?
Check out images hashtagged #atgetcomp on this map visualisation on gramfeed