A celebration of life: Edmund Capon AM, OBE
All welcome to attend
A celebration of life was held as a tribute to Edmund George Capon AM, OBE (11 June 1940 – 13 March 2019), who was director of the Art Gallery of New South Wales from 1978 to 2011.
Edmund made an indelible impact on the cultural life of Australia. His legacy is an enduring one.
This event recognised Edmund’s dedicated service to the Gallery, which he transformed during his tenure into one of the country’s most significant and most loved cultural institutions.
Edmund was a tireless and enthusiastic advocate for art and artists, and will be deeply missed by the Australian and international arts community.
You can view a video of the some of the highlights from the evening, including speeches by:
- Michael Brand, director, AGNSW
- Uncle Allen Madden, Gadigal elder
- David Gonski AC, president, AGNSW Board of Trustees
- Tim Storrier, artist
- The Hon Bob Carr, former Premier of NSW and Minister for the Arts
- The Hon Peter Collins AM, QC, former Attorney General of NSW and Minister for the Arts
- Murray Bail, writer
- Steven Miller, head of the Edmund & Joanna Capon Research Library, AGNSW
- Bill Henson, artist
- Joanna Capon OAM
Video music: recording and performance © Timo-Veikko Valve, cello
Tuesday 11 June 2019
Official proceedings 6.30-7.30pm
Gallery open until 9pm
Duration 2 hours, 30 minutes
Image: Edmund Capon rides a bicycle on the wall of the ancient city of Xi’an on 23 October 2010. Photo by Kevin Lee/Getty Images for Good Weekend