(England, Australia 19 Dec 1805 – 29 Sep 1876)
The Heads, Port Jackson
- Not on display
- Further information
This is one of two drawings by Skinner Prout of Sydney Heads from William Robertson's collection. It includes the historic Macquarie Lighthouse, Australia's first, and was made as a study for the lithograph in Part III of his series 'Sydney illustrated' 1843, about which John Rae wrote:
"The present view, which is taken from the cliffs, a little to the South of the Light House, give a faithful and characteristic representation of the scenery around the Heads... Macquarie Tower and Light House (containing a revolving light), is situated on the highest part of the outer South Head of Port Jackson Harbour... To the North of the Light House, on the dark cliff in the centre of the picture, stand the Signal Station, Signal-post, and Telegraph, which communicate to the Station on Fort Phillip all information about vessels entering or leaving the harbour".
A steel engraving by Charles Cousen (1813?-89) after Skinner Prout is included in Edwin Carton Booth's 'Australia illustrated' (1873-76) opposite pg. 105.
excerpt from Hendrik Kolenberg, Anne Ryan and Patricia James, '19th century Australian watercolours, drawings & pastels in the Gallery's collection', Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 2005
- (circa 1843)
- pencil on buff paper
- 16.4 x 22.4 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Signed l.r. corner, pencil "J S Prout". Not dated.
- Gift of W.T. Robertson 1991
- Accession number