Palace being prepared for festivities
- Other titles:
- Jaipur palace being prepared for festivities
- Not on display
- Further information
This rather late painting from the court of Jaipur is unusual in representing an everyday scene from courtly life rather than the highly romanticised or religious themes common to Rajput miniatures. It shows a courtier directing the servants of the court as they lay out carpets for an event, perhaps a performance or the daily 'darbar', or audience, with the maharajah. It is interesting to note the attempt at using perspective and the documentary style of the composition, which relinquish previously accepted pictorial conventions.
The Asian Collections, AGNSW, 2003, pg.44.
- Place of origin
- India: Rajput circa 1500–1947
- 19th century
- Miniature, Painting, Watercolour
- opaque watercolour on paper
- 21.8 x 30.7 cm image; 28.5 x 37.5 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
- Bequest of Mr J. Kitto 1986
- Accession number