Shiva and his family
- Not on display
- Further information
This is a family portrait of the Hindu god Shiva on Mount Kailasha. Shiva sits on a leopard skin with dishevelled hair, a sign of his ascetic practices. He is surrounded by his wife Parvati, his elephant-headed son, Ganesha, and multi-headed son, Karttikeya, who play the musical instruments vina and drums. Shiva’s bull mount, Nandi, Ganesha's rat mount and Karttikeya's peacock mount relax around the group.
- Place of origin
- Cultural origin
- Pahari, Kangra or Garhwahl (?)
- Miniature, Painting, Watercolour
- opaque watercolour (gouache) on paper
- 26.0 x 19.2 cm
- Gift of Dr Nigel and Mrs Norma Hawkins 2010. Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program
- Accession number
- Dr Nigel and Mrs Norma Hawkins, pre Feb 2010, Australia, gift to the Art Gallery of New South Wales by Dr Nigel and Mrs Norma Hawkins, Australia, 2010.