An image of Untitled

Henry Glenny

(Australia 1835 – 1910)

Untitled

Location
Not on display
Further information

Henry Glenny was a professional photographer, journalist and entrepreneur. Born in Ireland, he arrived in Australia in search of gold in 1853. He established a photography studio known as the Dublin and Melbourne Rooms in 1857 in Castlemaine, Victoria, opening additional branches in Ballarat and Kyneton shortly after. The firms specialised in portraits and views of churches, streets and public buildings.

A carte de visite is a stiff card of about 10 x 6.4 cm, with an attached paper photograph, invented in 1854 by André-Adolphe-Eugène Disderi. They were introduced into Australia in 1859 by William Blackwood with albums arriving in 1860, aiding the collection and distribution of multiple cartes. Cartes were usually portraits and were made by the millions worldwide. Multi-lens, or ‘multiplying’ cameras were introduced in the 1860s, which were capable of producing from 2 to 32 images in quick succession, dramatically increasing the number of cartes de visite that could be made from a single photographic plate. They were easily reproduced by making paper contact prints from the glass plates, which were then cut and pasted to card.

Year
1867
Media
Photograph
Medium
carte de visite
Dimensions
5.2 x 4.0 cm image (irreg.); 9.3 x 6.0 cm sheet; 10.3 x 6.2 cm mount card
Signature & date

Not signed. Not dated.

Credit
Purchased 2014
Accession number
355.2014