(Australia 1952 – )
- Maningrida, Arnhem region, Milmilngkan, Arnhem region
- Language group
- Kuninjku, Arnhem region
- Not on display
- Further information
This work by the artist concerns a major patrimoiety ceremony of a secret and sacred nature called Mardayin. Much of the meaning of the iconography in the painting is not in the domain of public knowledge and so it cannot be explained in detail here.
The painting refers to a site, Kakodbebuldi, which is an outstation in Dangkorlo clan estate in the Mann River region. Kakodbebuldi is a Mardayin ceremony performance site and is located on a large billabong covered in waterlillies. This place is about 50km south of Maningrida in Central North Arnhem Land.
© Maningrida Arts & Culture 2004
- Place of origin
Central Arnhem Land,
- etching, 'Maningrida brown' ink on white BFK Rives Moulin du Gué wove paper
- 33.2 x 16.6 cm platemark; 50.1 x 33.0 cm sheet (irreg.)
- Signature & date
Signed l.r. beneath platemark, pencil "JOHNNY". Not dated.
- Mollie Gowing Acquisition Fund for Contemporary Aboriginal Art 2005
- Accession number
- © John Mawurndjul/Maningrida Arts and Culture. Licensed by Copyright Agency