An image of Untitled

John Hubert Newman

(Australia 1830 – 1916)

Untitled

Location
Not on display
Further information

John Hubert Newman was a professional photographer based in Sydney. He visited Europe in 1860 and received lessons in photography in Paris. In 1862, on his return to Sydney, he worked in the studio of Bradley & Allen. He opened his own studio and gallery in 1863 called Newman’s New Photographic Gallery. He was a celebrated photographer and won a number of prizes at various national and international exhibitions. Although declared bankrupt in 1893, he recovered enough to open the Newman Atelier in 1894, where he remained until 1900.

A carte de visite is a stiff card of about 10 x 6.4 cm, with an attached paper photograph, invented in 1854 by André-Adolphe-Eugène Disderi. They were introduced into Australia in 1859 by William Blackwood with albums arriving in 1860, aiding the collection and distribution of multiple cartes. Cartes were usually portraits and were made by the millions worldwide. Multi-lens, or ‘multiplying’ cameras were introduced in the 1860s, which were capable of producing from 2 to 32 images in quick succession, dramatically increasing the number of cartes de visite that could be made from a single photographic plate. They were easily reproduced by making paper contact prints from the glass plates, which were then cut and pasted to card.

Year
1865-1869
Media
Photograph
Medium
carte de visite
Dimensions
5.2 x 9.1 cm image; 6.3 x 10.1 cm mount card
Signature & date

Not signed. Not dated.

Credit
Purchased 2014
Accession number
455.2014