(China 1865 – 1955)
- Not on display
- Further information
'One of the last in the great tradition of literati landscape painters, Huang Binhong was born into a family with established artistic and literary traditions in Anhui province. From the age of ten he learnt the arts of painting and seal engraving and, in true literati tradition, in his teenage years he began to collect Yuan and Ming dynasty paintings. Having moved to Shanghai at the beginning of the 20th century, he edited an encyclopaedia of writings on the fine arts. Later he became head of the Zhejiang Academy of Arts in Hangzhou, where he spent the remainder of his life.
Assuming such teaching and academic roles was not uncommon for painters of Huang's eminence. His style was deeply influenced by the aestheticism and purity of the literati tradition and, as in this painting, he delighted in the use of brush and ink and used colour most sparingly. The inscription states that the painting is dedicated to Mr. Qin Zhi; it is signed Huang Binhong in his 81st year (1945).'
‘The Asian Collections: Art Gallery of New South Wales’. pg.170.
© 2003 Trustees, Art Gallery of New South Wales
- Place of origin
- hanging scroll; ink and slight colour on paper
- 67.6 x 38.2 cm
- Signature & date
Signed u.r., in Chinese, inscribed in black ink "… Huang Binhong in 1945"
Signed u.r., in Chinese, stamped in red ink “Huang Binhong [artist's seal]"
- Purchased 1987
- Accession number