An image of Untitled

Unknown photographer

( – )

Chandler & Lomer

(Australia active Australia 1865–70s – )

Untitled

Location
Not on display
Further information

Chandler and Lomer was a photographic firm operated by Andrew Chandler and Albert Lomer. Both photographers trained in the studio of W Davies & Co in Melbourne and opened their Sydney partnership in 1865. The company also traded as The London Photographic Studio.

A carte de visite is a stiff card of about 10 x 6.4 cm, with an attached paper photograph, invented in 1854 by André-Adolphe-Eugène Disderi. They were introduced into Australia in 1859 by William Blackwood with albums arriving in 1860, aiding the collection and distribution of multiple cartes. Cartes were usually portraits and were made by the millions worldwide. Multi-lens, or ‘multiplying’ cameras were introduced in the 1860s, which were capable of producing from 2 to 32 images in quick succession, dramatically increasing the number of cartes de visite that could be made from a single photographic plate. They were easily reproduced by making paper contact prints from the glass plates, which were then cut and pasted to card.

Year
1865-1867
Media
Photograph
Medium
carte de visite
Dimensions
9.3 x 5.9 cm image; 10.4 x 6.3 cm mount card
Signature & date

Not signed. Not dated.

Credit
Purchased 2014
Accession number
493.2014