( – )
(Australia active Australia 1888–91 – )
- Not on display
- Further information
L Lange and Son was a photographic firm in Majorca, Victoria.
Research suggests that while L Lange & Son used a backing card stamped with the address of their Majorca studio, the ‘Tovey Bootmaker’ was located in Rochester, Victoria. Another carte de visite by L Lange & Son in the collection (525.2014) was also taken in Rochester contrary to the studio location printed on the card’s verso.
A carte de visite is a stiff card of about 10 x 6.4 cm, with an attached paper photograph, invented in 1854 by André-Adolphe-Eugène Disderi. They were introduced into Australia in 1859 by William Blackwood with albums arriving in 1860, aiding the collection and distribution of multiple cartes. Cartes were usually portraits and were made by the millions worldwide. Multi-lens, or ‘multiplying’ cameras were introduced in the 1860s, which were capable of producing from 2 to 32 images in quick succession, dramatically increasing the number of cartes de visite that could be made from a single photographic plate. They were easily reproduced by making paper contact prints from the glass plates, which were then cut and pasted to card.
- carte de visite
- 5.9 x 9.7 cm image; 6.3 x 10.2 cm mount card
- Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
- Purchased 2014
- Accession number