An image of Untitled

Unknown photographer

( – )

Sydney Photographic Company

(Australia active Australia 1872–91 – )

Untitled

Location
Not on display
Further information

Photographic firm with numerous branches throughout New South Wales and Queensland, and offices in South Australia.

A carte de visite is a stiff card of about 10 x 6.4 cm, with an attached paper photograph, invented in 1854 by André-Adolphe-Eugène Disderi. They were introduced into Australia in 1859 by William Blackwood with albums arriving in 1860, aiding the collection and distribution of multiple cartes. Cartes were usually portraits and were made by the millions worldwide. Multi-lens, or ‘multiplying’ cameras were introduced in the 1860s, which were capable of producing from 2 to 32 images in quick succession, dramatically increasing the number of cartes de visite that could be made from a single photographic plate. They were easily reproduced by making paper contact prints from the glass plates, which were then cut and pasted to card.

Year
1872-1881
Media
Photograph
Medium
carte de visite
Dimensions
5.7 x 5.8 cm oval image; 9.0 x 6.0 cm sheet; 10.1 x 6.2 cm mount card
Signature & date

Not signed. Not dated.

Credit
Purchased 2014
Accession number
537.2014