(Australia 1974 – )
Old love in song: in death
- Not on display
- Further information
In his arresting work, Old love in song: in death 2004, TV Moore appears against a black, smoky background like an apparition, singing a mash-up of the Latin requiem Pie Jesu and Almeda Riddle’s folk song, ‘I love my little rooster’. Dressed in military style clothing and ghoulish make-up, Moore’s character has been likened by several commentators to the ghost of a communard or a sailor.
The critic Andrew Frost has written eloquently of Moore’s haunting video self-portrait, stating: ‘With the soft hum of traffic outside the studio on the soundtrack, Old love song in song: in death achieved a remarkable distillation of the contemporary and the archaic, evoking the ageless concerns of life and mortality while acknowledging the artifice of its own creation’ .
1. Andrew Frost, ‘TV Moore’, http://scanlines.net/person/tv-moore accessed 5 Jul 2019, http://scanlines.net/person/tv-moore accessed 08 July 2019
- Time-based art
- single channel digital video, colour, sound
- duration: 08:19:15 mins, aspect ratio 4:3
- Signature & date
Signed certificate of authenticity, black fibre-tipped pen "TV Moore". Not dated.
Signed master DVD, black fibre-tipped pen "TV Moore". Not dated.
- Gift of Eleonora and Michael Triguboff 2019. Donated through the Australian Government’s Cultural Gifts Program
- Accession number
- © TV Moore, courtesy Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery