An image of Historical exterior view of the now demolished original Art Gallery of New South Wales in the Botanic GardensAn image of Historical exterior view of the now demolished original Art Gallery of New South Wales in the Botanic Gardens

Unknown

(Australia  – )

Historical exterior view of the now demolished original Art Gallery of New South Wales in the Botanic Gardens

Location
Not on display
Further information

The Gallery’s first dedicated building was erected in the Domain in 1879 as a ‘Fine Arts Annexe’ to the Sydney International Exhibition of that year. It was designed by William Wardell, built of timber and about 4000 square metres in size. It contained nine galleries and a corridor. During the International exhibition only part of the Gallery’s collection was exhibited in this building, with galleries also given over to temporary exhibits from Austria, Germany, Great Britain, France and Belgium. When the International exhibition closed, the trustees were successful in having this building entirely dedicated as the “Art Gallery of New South Wales”, despite the efforts of government architect James Barnet to have the annexe demolished and the collection of the Art Gallery of New South Wales housed in the Garden Palace. The Governor Lord Loftus officially dedicated the building as the “Art Gallery of New South Wales” on 20 September 1880. This photograph of the façade of the gallery shows how the building was just within the walls of the inner Domain, now the Botanic Gardens.

Place of origin
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Year
circa 1881
Media
Photograph
Medium
gelatin silver photograph
Dimensions
21.4 x 30.3 cm
Signature & date

Not signed. Not dated.

Credit
National Art Archive. Art Gallery of New South Wales Institutional archive
Accession number
ARC2.2.2