(Netherlands, England 1971 – )
- Not on display
- Further information
Placebo is a fictional story based on the syndrome Pseudoligica Phantastica, where invented experiences are presented as reality.
The video is set within the intensive care unit of a hospital with the off-screen narrative told by the mistress of a supposedly married man who claims he is a surgeon. Regaining consciousness after a car crash that her now comatose lover orchestrated, she begins to unravel his intricate web of deceit.
Images of empty hospital interiors, a drip, effervescent pills and various molecular structures, melt away into liquid globules. Placebo is filmed in real time in miniature sets covered in paint and submerged in water.
A soundtrack of electronic samples plays in tune with the melting droplets.
Voice over: Sukie Smith
- Time-based art, Installation
- digital tape (betacam) shown as single channel digital video, colour, sound
- duration: 00:06:00 min, aspect ratio: 4:3, display dimensions variable
- Signature & date
Signed on DVD master, black fibre-tipped pen "Saskia Olde Wolbers". Not dated.
Signed l.l. certificate of authenticity, black pen "Saskia Olde Wolbers". Not dated.
- John Kaldor Family Collection
- Accession number
- © Saskia Olde Wolbers. Courtesy Maureen Paley, London