Whiteley drawing competition
In celebration of Brett Whiteley: drawing is everything, we invite you to channel Whiteley’s creative process and share your own drawings to Instagram over the month of January.
Drawing was central to Whiteley’s work, the starting point from where his imagination ran free. He kept a number of sketchbooks where he experimented with form, techniques and imagery, which remain as a record of his unique way of seeing the world.
Taking inspiration from his sketchbooks, each week in January our Instagram followers will be invited to share a drawing responding to a theme drawn from the exhibition Brett Whiteley: drawing is everything. Each weekly winner will be chosen based on the originality and creativity of their entry, and will receive a Whiteley themed prize from the Gallery shop.
How to enter
- Follow the Gallery on Instagram @artgalleryofnsw for the weekly drawing challenge.
- Share your drawing to Instagram and tell us a bit about your work. Don’t forget to tag #whiteleydrawings @artgalleryofnsw so we can find your entry!
Enter as many times as you like. Only publicly viewable photos submitted via Instagram with the appropriate tags will be accepted and winning entries will be re-grammed on the Gallery Instagram.
Winners will be contacted via DM on Instagram on the following dates:
Entry Period 1: 3 – 9 Jan 2019. Winner announced 14 Jan 2019.
Entry Period 2: 10 – 16 Jan 2019. Winner announced 21 Jan 2019.
Entry Period 3: 17 – 23 Jan 2019. Winner announced 28 Jan 2019.
Entry Period 4: 24 – 30 Jan 2019. Winner announced 4 Feb 2019.
Terms and conditions
Share your experience of Brett Whiteley: drawing is everything, through our weekly Instagram Drawing competition and entre to win a variety of Whiteley related good from the Gallery store.
1. The promoter is the Art Gallery of New South Wales, ABN 24 934 492 575, Art Gallery Rd, The Domain NSW 2000, PH (02) 9225 1700.
2. To enter, entrants must upload a drawing to Instagram in response to the weekly drawing challenge. Images must use the hashtag #whiteleydrawings and the handle @artgalleryofnsw to be eligible.
3. Entry is open to all permanent residents of Australia only. Employees of the Art Gallery of New South Wales and their immediate families are ineligible to enter.
4. Your account must be set on public mode for your submission to be viewed.
5. You can enter as many times as you like.
6. Photographs submitted must be original works.
7. The competition commences on Wednesday 4 January 2019 and closes Tuesday 31 January 2019.
8. The competition consists of four entry periods as outlined, Entries received outside this time period will not be considered.
- Entry Period 1 – Starts 3 January 2019. Ends 9 January 2019. Winner announced on 14 January 2019.
- Entry Period 2 – Starts 10 January 2019. Ends 16 January 2019. Winner announced 21 January 2019.
- Entry Period 3 – Starts 17 January 2019. Ends 23 January 2019. Winner announced 28 January 2019.
- Entry Period 4 – Starts 24 January 2019. 30 January 2019. Winner announced 4 February 2019.
9. By uploading a photo, you are eligible to win one of the following items from the prize pool:
- Whiteley Postcards
- A ready to frame print
- Brett Whiteley: Drawings by Lou Kleepak (2014)
- Brett Whiteley: Art, Life and the Other Thing by Ashleigh Wilson (2016)
- 100% cotton Brett Whiteley animal print shirt
Total prize pool valued at AUD $215
10. The winning photo will be featured on the Gallery’s Instagram with the winner’s handle. Winners will be notified via Instagram Direct Message and will have until 14 days to respond with their mailing address.
11. If a winner does not respond within 14 days of being notified, their prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected and contacted via Instagram direct message.
12. The prize will be sent to the winners by the Art Gallery of New South Wales by post.
13. The prize cannot be transferred or redeemed for cash.
14. The promoter reserves the right to verify the validity of entries and to disqualify any entry which, in the opinion of promoter, includes objectionable content, profanity, potentially insulting, inflammatory or defamatory statements, disqualify any entrant who tampers with the entry process, who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these terms and conditions of entry or who has, in the opinion of promoter, engaged in conduct in entering the promotion which is fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the promotion and/or promoter. The promoter reserves the right to disqualify a winner if the promoter becomes aware that the winner and/or the winner’s entry is of a type described in this clause.
15. By entering the competition and accepting the terms and conditions you agree that you hereby license the rights to use your photo submission to the Art Gallery of NSW and its associated partners on any of its websites or social media channels, or for advertising and promotion of its products, services, and/or its company in any media now known or hereafter developed in perpetuity in exchange for no compensation of any kind.