Join the Art Gallery of NSW Foundation
The Art Gallery of NSW Foundation is the Gallery’s major acquisition fund and the umbrella philanthropic organisation for all the Gallery benefactor groups and funds.
It invests capital from donations and bequests and uses the income to purchase works of art for the collection.
Who can join
You can join the Foundation as a member for four years by committing to a tax-deductible donation starting from $7200. This can be paid by one lump sum of $7200 for the four years OR by annual instalments of a minimum average of $1800 per annum over the four-year period.
Of your pledged $7200, $1200 will be directed to the Foundation’s endowment fund for acquisitions. You can choose to direct the remaining $6000 to the endowment fund as well, or to a curatorial department or resource area. You can support more than one department or area for an additional $1000 per annum.
Specific acquisition funds
- Aboriginal Collection Benefactors (ACB)
- Asian art
- Australian art
- Australian Prints, Drawings & Watercolours Benefactors (PDW)
- Contemporary Collection Benefactors (CCB)
- European art
- Photography Collection Benefactors (PCB)
- Conservation (Friends of Conservation)
- Curatorial support
- Learning and participation
- Research library and archive (Friends of the Library)
- VisAsia (Asian exhibitions and programs)
There are a number of higher levels of support available. You can also join the Foundation by gifting works to the Gallery valued at over $10,000 (subject to curatorial approval) or by pledging a bequest of $100,000 or more: see Donate artwork and Leave a gift in your will. Honorary membership is commensurate with the level of support.
Levels of support:
- Member: $7200-$20,000 in a four-year period
- Donor: $20,000-$50,000 in a five-year period
- Fellow: $50,000-$100,000 in a ten-year period
- Governor: $100,000-$500,000, period negotiable
- Benefactor: $500,000-$1 million, period negotiable
- Gold Benefactor: $1 million – $5 million, period negotiable
- Life Benefactor: $5 million or more, period negotiable
While you are a contributing member, you are entitled to have your name listed on the Foundation honour board and will be invited to a tailored program of events, including:
- private viewings of major exhibitions, with an introduction by the director or curator
- exhibition openings
- behind-the-scenes tours
- 'in conversation’ tours with curators
- interstate and overseas art-focused travel to galleries and private collections
Each support area has events that are additional to the Foundation’s core program.
Tax deductible donations and grants can be made to the Gallery in the United States of America through the Charities Aid Foundation of America website or in the United Kingdom by contacting the Charities Aid Foundation UK