(Scotland, England 21 Jan 1885–09 May 1978)
Still life with cyclamen
- Other titles:
- Still life with cyclamens
- 19th & 20th c European art
- Further information
One of the Bloomsbury Group, Scottish born artist Duncan Grant was a decorator and designer as well as a painter. He was influenced by developments in French art and exhibited in the 1912 Second Post Impressionist Exhibition, London. In various ways he sought an approach to Modernism. The gentle, delicate fragmented light and colour of this painting is typical of the English sensibility - gentler, and more tentative, intuitive and inconsistent than the French, where a particular theory guided the total effect.
AGNSW Handbook, 1994
- circa 1914
- oil on board
- 74.0 x 63.5cm board; 99.5 x 88.0 x 7.0cm frame
- Signature & date
- Not signed. Not dated.
- Purchased with funds provided by Margaret Olley and the Sam Hughes Memorial Fund 1993
- Accession number
- © Estate of Duncan Grant, courtesy Henrietta Garnett
- Robin Gibson Gallery (Australia, estab. 1976), pre 10 May 1993, Sydney/New South Wales/Australia, Purchased by the AGNSW from Robin Gibson Gallery 1993
O Waller esq, post Jun 1987
Pamela Harris (Australia, b.1946, d.1992), pre Jun 1987?, London/England, From the Estate of Pamela Harris, a Bloomsbury friend of the artist.