(United States of America 25 Jan 1951 – )
- Not on display
- Further information
Performer: John Malpede
‘Memoria’ is a precursor to Viola’s later works, including his series 'The passions'. Shot on a low-grade surveillance camera, an image of a man’s face showing a range of emotional states is projected onto silk cloth, recalling the Veil of Veronica or Shroud of Turin. The image is so degraded, however, that it sometimes breaks up, dissolving the face into the snow of recorded noise. Like his 2006 work ‘Bodies of light’, the figure seems to be on the verge of becoming or disintegrating, like a signal from another place.
- Time-based media, Video, DVD
- video projection, black-and-white, silent, continuous running; silk cloth screen
- projection size 61.0 x 76.2 cm
- Signature & date
- Signed Certificate of authenticity, blue pen "Bill Viola". Not dated.
- Gift of the John Kaldor Family Collection 2011. Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program
- Accession number
- © Bill Viola