(Australia 1960 – )
- Kiwirrkura, Western Desert region
- Language group
- Pintupi, Western Desert region
Snakes and Freshwater at Warrumpa S.W. of Lake Mackay
- Not on display
- Further information
The irregular shape towards the centre of this painting depicts the fresh water site of Warrumpa, on the south-western side of Lake Mackay. The small round shapes also depict other fresh water supplies in the area. The artist has depicted the dangerous snakes which live under the lake in the vicinity of the site. In mythological times a large number of women gathered here to perform ceremonies.
Documentation Card, Papunya Tula Artists Pty Ltd, 1996
- Place of origin
Central and Western Desert,
- synthetic polymer paint on linen canvas
- 166.5 x 28.0 cm
- Signature & date
- Not signed. Not dated.
- Mollie Gowing Acquisition Fund for Contemporary Aboriginal Art 1997
- Accession number
- © Takariya Napaltjarri. licensed by Viscopy, Sydney.