(Australia 12 Aug 1890 – 1964)
Construction in green
- Not on display
- Further information
In the early 1940s, Ralph Balson moved towards complete abstraction, referring to his new flat, geometric compositions as ‘constructive paintings’. His 1941 show at Anthony Hordern’s gallery in Sydney has been acclaimed as the first entirely non-figurative solo exhibition in Australia. Balson continued painting in this vein for the next 15 years.
Around 1950, Balson simplified his forms further towards rectilinear shapes, echoing the abstractions of Piet Mondrian. Later in the decade he moved to a softer colour palette and clearly visible brushstrokes. His colleague Grace Crowley shifted similarly towards geometric abstraction, preserving a more vivid use of primary colours and dynamic movement across the picture space.
- oil on paperboard
- 85.7 x 109.9 cm board; 87.5 x 112.4 x 3.1 cm frame
- Signature & date
- Signed and dated l.r. corner, yellow oil "R-BALSON -/42".
- Purchased with funds provided by an anonymous purchase fund for contemporary Australian art 1970
- Accession number
- © Ralph Balson Estate