(Australia 01 May 1935–26 Jun 2005)
Brazil no 3
- Other titles:
- Brazil Series No.3, Untitled
- 20th & 21st c Australian art
- Further information
This painting was exhibited at the 1971 Bienal Internacional de São Paulo in Brazil, where David Aspden (and Gunter Christmann) represented Australia. Aspden was awarded a gold medal for his body of work, which became known as the 'Brazil' series. With its grand-scale celebration of joyous colour, this series coincided with Aspden’s growing artistic maturity. A key aspect of this was the freeform jigsaw shape that he introduced in order to explore therelationship between colour and space. For Aspden, painting was as much a process as the creation of an all-encompassing colour environment.
- synthetic polymer paint on canvas
- 267.0 x 240.0cm stretcher; 271.0 x 244.5 x 4.5cm frame
- Signature & date
- Not signed. Not dated.
- Gift of the Rudy Komon Memorial Fund 1985
- Accession number
- © Karen Aspden